Besides the skin of a Minecraft player, the most noticeable part of their in-game personality probably comes from their player name, and sometimes it needs to be changed to better suit the player’s playstyle.
Despite the ongoing integration between Mojang and Microsoft regarding Minecraft accounts, changing a player’s name is a straightforward process as long as a player can use their web browser.
There are a few caveats to keep in mind when changing the name, but if not, the process can be set up in a matter of moments, and players can start enjoying the game with their brand new name and identity.
Minecraft: steps to initiate a name change
A quick trip to Minecraft.net and entering their credentials will allow players to quickly enter their new name into the game. Below, Minecraft players can find step-by-step instructions on how to change their name. name via game website:
- Go to Minecraft.net on a preferred web browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Click on the “Login” link at the top right of the site’s home page.
- Here, players will need to enter their account credentials. Depending on the migration status of their account, players may need to enter their Mojang account or Microsoft account information.
- Once the player has entered their Minecraft account page, they should be on the profile page. Here their profile name will be displayed.
- Click on the “Edit” link to the right of the profile name.
- Once the link is clicked, a box will open below that will allow players to enter their new name.
- Click the “Change Profile Name” button when you are satisfied with the new name.
Afterwards, the new Minecraft player name should change relatively quickly and appear in the game to reflect this. Depending on the network congestion at the Minecraft site, this may take a while, so if it doesn’t happen right away, a little patience may be needed.
It’s also worth noting that a player can only change their name once every 30 days. Additionally, changing their name means that the old name the player held can now be claimed by another player, so players need to be absolutely certain that they want to commit to a new one before removing their old one.
Read alsoThe article continues below
If players change their name and can’t go back to a previous one, they can wait a very long time until the user who claimed their old name changes theirs (if they ever do).