Minecraft receives updates at regular intervals to keep the game fresh and add new content. The Java edition has its own pre-testing system which consists of snapshots, experimental builds, and preview builds. The last of these was released in mid-February, known as 1.19 Deep Dark Experimental Snapshot.
The snapshot was aptly named “A very scary snapshot”. It added the highly anticipated Deep Dark features to the game including: Deep Dark biome, ancient city structure, Warden mob and some new blocks found deep underground.
In this article, we explain how to download the new snapshot.
Steps to Download “A Very Spooky Snapshot” in Minecraft
Although it is a fairly simple process, the installation may seem tricky for new players. The following steps break down the process of installing and launching the new Snapshot for Java Edition.
- Move towards this link.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Download this zip file” option. This will upload the snapshot file to the player’s system.
- Unzip/extract the downloaded zip file.
- Move the resulting folder to the “versions” subfolder inside the .minecraft folder.
- Launch the game launcher.
- Click on the “Installations” tab.
- Make sure the “Modified” box is checked. It can be found under the “Versions” tab.
- Click on “New installation”.
- Give the new install a custom name and select “1.19_deep_dark_experimental_snapshot-1 pending” from the version drop-down menu.
- Click “Create”.
- Click on the “Play” tab at the top left.
- Select the 1.19 snapshot installation from the installations to the left of the “PLAY” button.
- Start the game and get ready to face the guardian.
The title of the snapshot is uniquely suited to Minecraft Guardian, as the crowds are what make the biome so terrifying to explore. The added effect of darkness and the fact that players have to stay stealthy all the time while exploring the biome are factors that set the mood and turn vanilla Minecraft into something of a horror game.
The snapshot also adds a new enchantment that helps a lot when it comes to using stealth to get around. The “Swift Sneak” enchantment allows players to crouch and move at the same rate as their walking speed. This allows for a better display of stealth and helps the player adapt to their surroundings in the Deep Dark.
Other additions to the game with this snapshot include:
- Reinforced Deepslate
- Carving Catalyst
- Sculp Vein
Minecraft update 1.19, titled “The Wild”, is up there with some of the most innovative updates the game has seen in a while. While each has added new features or revisions to the game, 1.18 (and the upcoming 1.19) are some of the biggest yet.