How to Play Fortnite on the School Chromebook
Google Chromebooks are increasingly popular in the school system due to their ease of use and accessibility for students of all ages. At some schools, students will receive a free Chromebook that they can use and even take home for homework. Chromebooks were also used during the pandemic to ensure every student had access to online learning. With so many laptops in the world, some students might wonder if there’s another use for them besides doing their homework.
For all players, loading Fortnite is an option on a Chromebook.
Although this is possible through several different methods, students should be careful when playing Fortnite, or any game for that matter, on school-owned equipment. Some schools may have mandates in place that prohibit students from downloading a game to their school laptops.
Make sure everything is ok before adding Fortnite to your hardware.
The two different methods
Although there are technically three methods of play Fortnite on a school Chromebook, we’ll only go over two. The third method requires players to enter developer mode on their Chromebook and download an .apk file, which could cause even more problems for students. The two methods we have chosen are quite simple and only require students to access a web page.
Perhaps the easiest and most direct method of play Fortnite on a Chromebook is via Nvidia’s cloud-based game streaming service, GeForce Now. The service allows gamers with any type of system to play a variety of games at a higher quality than they normally could.
This is especially handy for Chromebook users, as the laptop was not designed for gaming.
To use GeForce Now, gamers can head to the service’s webpage and log into an active Nvidia account. By doing so, you will be able to choose from a number of membership plans. There is a basic free plan that allows players to use GeForce Now servers for one hour per day.
However, the graphic quality of Fortnite or other games will be average.
If you want access to better hardware and better graphics, you can pay $50 over six months for the priority plan. This plan has the choice of six-hour game sessions. Choose the plan that’s right for you.
From here you can search for a specific game, like Fortnite, and read it directly on the webpage. To play Fortniteyou will also need an Epic Games account, which can be created using various methods, such as Facebook, email, etc. Last point to note, this game method Fortnite on a school Chromebook only works for North America and Europe.
Google Chrome Remote Desktop Mode
If you want a freer way to play Fortnite or if you are from a region other than NA or EU, you can set up Remote Desktop mode for Google Chrome. To do this, you will need access to a PC or another computer that already has Fortnite installed on it.
Here are the steps to configure Remote Desktop mode:
- Open Google Chrome on your Chromebook
- In the search address bar, enter the following URL: remotedesktop.google.com/access or go to this link.
- Click on “Configure Remote Access” then press “Download”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to configure Remote Desktop mode
For these next steps, switch to your other computer that has Fortnite installed.
- On this computer, open Google Chrome and enter the same URL: remotedesktop.google.com/access or go to this link
- Select the “Share this screen” option on the page
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the Remote Desktop Mode app
- Once the application is installed, click on the “Get Support” option and select “Generate Code”
- Write down this code, then copy it to the Remote Desktop Mode app on your Chromebook.
- Once done, tap “Share” and the other computer’s screen should appear
- Now you can remotely access the computer where Fortnite is installed and play the game through that computer on the Chromebook
These two methods will allow you to access Fortnite on your Chromebook.